Scientific Online Resource System

Scripta Scientifica Medicinae Dentalis

Factors influencing the communication between dental specialists and patients

Gergana Georgieva, Sabina Keremedchieva, Mihael Enchev

Abstract

The profession of a dental specialist is complex. It has a social element and can be successfully practiced only if dental doctors have acquired theoretical knowledge and practical communication skills. According to Alan Pease, words make up 35% of a message, and the remaining vocal and non-verbal elements comprise 65%. The aim of the present study is to systematize the factors influencing the communication between dental professionals and their patients. A research was carried out in the scientific databases PubMed, Scopus, ScienceDirect, and Web of Science to obtain the information needed. The keywords used were: influencing factors, effective doctor-patient communication, child communication, and geriatric dentistry. The factors influencing the communication between the dentist and the patient are divided into three groups: factors from the patient’s side, factors from the dentists and their team’s side, and factors pertaining to the working microclimate (working environment) in the dental practice. The age of the patient is one of the most important factors influencing the communication in the dental practice. Another factor that is extremely important is the patient’s health management and competence. In order for the dental practice to be successful and for the patients to be satisfied with the quality of the dental services provided, one of the most important factors is effective communication.


Keywords

influencing factors, effective doctor-patient communication, child communication, geriatric dentistry

Full Text


References

Pease A, Garner A. Body language: How to read other’s thoughts by their gestures. Ciela; 2000. (in Bulgarian).

Аleksandrova V, Musurlieva N, Stoykova M. Communication skills in dental practice: a review. Stoma Edu J. 2016;3(1):63-7. doi:10.25241/stomaeduj.2016.3(1-2).art.9.

Emanuel EJ, Emanuel LL. Four models of the physician-patient relationship. JAMA. 1992;267(16):2221-6.

Nova Scotia Dental Association (NSDA). Available from: www.nsdental.org

Kurtz S, Silverman J, Draper J. Teaching and learning communication skills in medicine. Oxford: Radcliffe Medical Press; 1998.

Silverman J, Kurtz S, Draper J. Skills for communicating with patients. Oxford: Radcliffe Medical Press; 1998.

Stewart M, Brown JB, Boon H, Galajda J, Meredith L, Sangster M. Evidence on patient-doctor communication. Cancer Prev Control. 1999;3(1):25-30.

Yankulova S. Bioethics. 2nd edition. Medical University of Pleven; 2013. (in Bulgarian).

Rønneberg A, Nordgarden H, Skaare AB, Willumsen T. Barriers and factors influencing communication between dental professionals and Child Welfare Services in their everyday work. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2019;29(6):684-91. doi: 10.1111/ipd.12507.

Etchells E, Sharpe G, Walsh P, Williams JR, Singer PA. Bioethics for clinicians: 1. Consent. CMAJ. 1996;155(2):177-80.

Smith AJE. Serie: Communicatie in de tandartspraktijk. Met communicatie bouwen aan een goede tandarts-patiëntrelatie [Series: Communication in the dental practice. Building a good dentist-patient relationship with communication]. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2019;126(1):37-44. Dutch. doi: 10.5177/ntvt.2019.01.18212.




DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14748/ssmd.v9i2.9233

Refbacks

About The Authors

Gergana Georgieva
Department of Dental Material Science and Prosthetic Dental Medicine, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University of Varna
Bulgaria

Sabina Keremedchieva
Department of Periodontology and Dental Implantology, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University of Varna
Bulgaria

Mihael Enchev
Department of Periodontology and Dental Implantology, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University of Varna
Bulgaria

Font Size


|