Scientific Online Resource System

Varna Medical Forum

Study on readiness for pre- and postabortion consultation among midwives

Todorka Boeva

Abstract

One of the strategies for solving the problem „abortion` is the use of effective, modern and reliable contraception. This aspect of the problem is connected with the creation of consulting rooms for family planning, their proper functioning and ensuring trained midwives providing adequate contraceptive services. The purpose of this study is to assess the readiness and competence of health care professionals (midwives) to provide activities related to pre-abortion and post- abortion consulting.

Material and Methods: In the study on a random basis are included 127 midwives working in Varna, Dobrich, Shumen, Ruse, Plovdiv and Pleven. We used the original questionnaire with open and closed questions.

Results: Based on qualitative and quantitative analysis of the data obtained, a connection is established between participation in courses on family planning and skills of the participants for consultation on family planning. Respondents who feel prepared to conduct independent consultations on family planning are 48%, those who are unable to do so - 29%, and 23% cannot decide. It is not surprising that only 16% of midwives have participated in courses on family planning over the past five years. The rest (84%) were not included in courses because such were not organized. Preferences for courses in postgraduate training topics are:

1) Information on methods of contraception

2) Counseling skills

3) Family knowledge

4) Communication skills


Keywords

Midwife, consulting, family planning, postabortion consultation

Full Text




DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14748/vmf.v5i0.1980

Refbacks

Font Size


|